If you’re here, then you obviously like House of Leaves. If you’re like me, you want things that are like House of Leaves. So I’ve decided to compile a list of works with common themes. Things that I’ve found, things that others have suggested. There’s no specific criteria. This is basically just a friendly recommendation list for anyone who’s enjoyed HoL.
Please submit anything you want to see on this list, but include a reason why you think it’s similar. (just because i don’t want, like Dear God It’s Me Margaret, you know?) Also, it’s nice to share. It doesn’t have to be an in depth analysis, it can just be “this guy goes insane!” or “this book does crazy things with the font.” It’s up to you.
- the Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall. (Crazy stuff with the text)
- the Red Tree by Caitlín R. Kiernan. (Deals with issues like insanity, dreams, loss, regret, etc. Kiernan is also a huge fan of HoL.)
- the Cipher, Bad Brains, Strange Angles, and Skin, by Kathe Koja. (Deals with internal conflict, insanity, and so on.)
- short stories by Thomas Ligotti. (Evokes similar emotions to HoL)
- Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente (elements of metafiction)
- Haunted by Poe
- Trainwreck by Boys Night Out (there are reoccurring themes of death, loss, and insanity)